Watches multiple times carry too many emotional values and this makes them hard to sell. But many watch enthusiasts need to find ways how to sell their used watches. Maybe they want to reshape their collection or just want to sell a used watch that they don’t use that often anymore. In this article, we will try to give you the best advice on how to sell your used watch so you can profit the most out of it.
Watches That Hold Their Value
Before we start analyzing all the different methods on how to sell your used watch, we’ll learn more about new watches that you should buy that hold their value or even raise it in case you want to sell it later on. Watch Finder offers you a lot of watches that you can even use as investments.
We will talk about the top 5 brands that hold their value.
- Rolex. Arguably Rolex is the most well-known watch brand of all time and one of the best brands we can use as an investment. For example, Rolex Submariner is an excellent choice due to its resale value.
ROLEX SUBMARINER 41MM (2020 B+P) - C$32,999.00
- Audemars Piguet. Audemars Piguet is one of the most recognized watch brands in the watchmaking community. Audemars Piguet creates limited and unique timepieces that can be easily personalized and can grow the value of the watch greatly. Audemars Piguet Royal Oak was a revolution when it was first created and continues to hold its value even today.
AUDEMARS PIGUET ROYAL OAK OFFSHORE - C$42,599.00
- Patek Philippe. Patek Philippe is one of the first watch manufacturers in the world with a great history behind it. After all, those notable years and timepieces created Patek Philippe opened in 2001, the Patek Philippe Museum in Geneva. You can be sure that after you buy a Patek Philipe watch it’s value will only grow. Patek Philippe Calatrava, it’s a classic that will never grow old.
PATEK PHILIPPE CALATRAVA - C$18,499.00
- Breitling. A lot of Breitling watches like Chronomat, Navitimer and Transocean are in demand and they have a good chance of holding their value or increase it further.
BREITLING CHRONOMAT 18K ROSE GOLD - C$16,950.00
- TAG Heuer. TAG Heuer has many years in the watch industry filled with experience making some of the most sold luxury watches. If you invest in some of the top models of TAG Heuer, you’ll not be disappointed.
TAG HEUER CARRERA - C$3,499.00
Complete the set
If you want to sell your watch at the desirable price you must complete the original set that the watch has come with like the original box, receipts, warranty card and all the other stuff.
Typically people are afraid to buy used watches because there are many replicas and people that try to sell them as the real deal. The original packaging and documentation will raise the value of your watch drastically and it will assure the buyers that you are not trying to sell a counterfeit watch. Even better if you complete the full set of your used timepieces like cleaning cloths, straps, pusher pins and other accessories. If you have the full set your watch it’s worth 30% more. Another good thing to keep in mind is to save and have all the service records.
Take good pictures
If you are wondering how to sell your used watch online there is one big thing to keep in mind. You have to take great quality pictures of your watch. You ever heard the saying "A picture is worth a thousand words"? That’s completely true because photographs can indicate every aspect like the condition, the shade of the colour etc. You must try to take those photographs in perfect lighting so that your watch doesn’t look too bright or too dark.
Find your Watch’s Model/Reference and Serial Numbers
If you want your watch to sell you must provide to your buyer with many important pieces of information. For starter, you need to have the watches model Id so the buyer can find it easily while researching it. Another important information is the serial number. The serial number is unique for every timepiece and assures the buyer that your watch it’s real. Many of the big watch brands offer online databases based on your serial number can estimate all the other information. To find your model and serial number you should look at the official paperwork.
But if you don’t have that it’s okay. You can still find them on the watch itself. It’s true that the placement of the serial number varies from brand to brand but generally, they are engraved on the exterior of the case back.
Repair and aftermarket components can impact your watch sell price
Even if you watch it’s one of the top brands, it will not worth a dime if it is not in good condition.
If your watch has scratches on the crystal, has faded dial or dents in the case you may have to reconsider the final price you wanna sell it.
One other important factor is that your watch should be closer to the primary conditions. Aftermarket components tend to lower the selling price because the watch loses its authenticity.
Trade your watch
If you are a watch enthusiast and you want to reshape your collection trading it its a smart decision. You are welcome to browse our inventory and find the desirable watch that you want to trade. Afterwards, you can contact one of our experts at Watch Finder, with whom you can discuss all the details of the trade. You are welcomed too in our physical shops in Toronto where you can see in real life our inventory and trade it easily.
Are you looking for luxury watch brands?
Watchfinder was founded on the belief that purchasing a beautiful, prestigious timepiece should be more than just a transaction. It should be an experience and a seamless one at that. When Sean Sherzady founded Watchfinder in 1999, he rooted his business on the value that owning a luxury watch represents an appreciation of quality, fashion, and excellence. That’s why he chose to situate his first showroom in the dynamic Yorkville neighbourhood, an enclave of Toronto that indulges.