"What is better, a Breitling or a Rolex?" we are asked about this question more usually than you would expect, and depending on the nature of the issue, we can respond in a variety of ways. So, shall we answer each and every one of them?
In this article, we are going to answer some of the most frequent questions that many of us have been probably asking ourselves when we think of buying a luxury watch. Both of these luxury brands are well-known and are often considered when searching for a luxury watch from a reputable Swiss watchmaker. You may be making a purchase and want to know if a Breitling or a Rolex watch is better.
Rolex Versus Breitling Comparison
Rolex is the most recognizable Swiss watch brand in the world, with nearly 100 percent brand recognition, and is the third most recognizable Swiss brand overall, with only Nescafe and Nestle ahead of them in first and second place, respectively.
Breitling is a Swiss watchmaker. Breitling is the world's 15th most well-known Swiss watch company. Is Breitling a well-known watchmaker? Yes, indeed! Nonetheless, the Rolex brand is more well-known than the Breitling brand.
Therefore if you were to wear one of these watches, there are higher possibilities, you might hear people (many of them are not “watch people” as such) say “Hey, Great Rolex!” in comparison to Breitling, then they are more likely to remember Rolex. Anyone who knows something about watches, on the other hand, is aware that Breitling is a high-end brand.
Rolex Prices VS Breitling Prices
Rolex watches start about twice as much as the cheapest Breitling watch. The Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39mm men's watch, which starts at about $10,000, is currently the cheapest new Rolex, followed by the Rolex Datejust 31mm ladies watches, which cost just around $5,000 more. They all have COSC (Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres) certificates and use automatic calibers, which are purely mechanical gestures.
Breitling watches start at a fraction of the cost of a Rolex. With more affordable watches like the Breitling Colt Skyracer for men, which costs about $2,000 and is powered by a COSC approved Breitling SuperQuartzTM Caliber 74 movement. Their mechanically driven automatic watches, including the Chronomat Colt Automatic 44mm, start at about $3,240 retail price.
So let's equate apples to apples. Rolex does not manufacture quartz watches. They take pride in making only mechanical watches, which are known as more prestigious by watch owners and enthusiasts all over the world. Yes, there were quartz Rolexes once upon a time. The Rolex Oysterquartz was last seen in their catalogue in 2001, but they have since abandoned the concept in favour of manufacturing only high-end and high-precision mechanical calibres for their watches.
In consideration of the above, what factors affect the importance of a Rolex calibre versus a Breitling quartz movement?
Breitling or Rolex: Which Holds Value Best?
Is Breitling a good watch? Yes, indeed. A superb watch. There is a straight association between the value of a brand, the recognition of a brand and the resale value. Although some watches have a high resale value for other reasons, such as singularity or legendary status and others have a low resale value; as a universal rule, the better the brand the more you will gain when trying to sell it. Not only for watches but also, in general, this is a true fact.
With reference to the street value of a Rolex, you actually can not give a clear answer. Although referring to the percentage of how much you paid for a Rolex or Breitling versus with what price you might sell it for, you will usually obtain more when reselling your Rolex watches in comparison with reselling your Breitling watch. It is nearly certain on every occasion. What’s better than a Rolex? In terms of a watches’ average resale value? Nothing.
So, why would you want to resell a Rolex or Breitling? It baffles me. Anyway, let's look at some of the most common reasons why people would (or wouldn't) purchase a Cartier or Breitling watch.
Pros & Cons of Buying Breitling Watches
- They are known for being extremely skilled watches, such as the Breitling Navitimer 01, which is equipped for pilots, astronauts, military forces, search and rescue operations, and more.
- Breitling has a few smartwatches, including the Exospace B55 watches, which are smartwatches with unique smart features for pilots and aerospace professionals.
- Breitling has a called the Breitling Emergency that includes a distress beacon and locator which is good if emergencies arise.
- Breitling has a warranty period of 5 years from the time of the purchase.
- They are way more considerably affordable than Rolexes.
- There is a wide range of models to choose from these watches.
- They have accurately a fairly large number of special edition watches and limited edition watches.
- Breitling offers several different rubber strap choices, and you can put one on any of their watches. Rolex currently only offers a few rubber strap options in the Yachtmaster range, as well as a few Rolex Daytonas with rubber straps.
- Quartz watches from Breitling are more accurate and need less maintenance than mechanical watches.
- They are not as well known as Rolex, but they do remain a very major watch brand.
- Their resale values are usually not the same as Rolex watches.
- They don't make as many super-expensive blingy models as Rolex does.
- Although most watch connoisseurs will recognize a Breitling as an amazing watch and a highly regarded brand that offers both mechanical and quartz watches, some watch connoisseurs who are intrigued by micromechanics prefer to sing the praises of brands that only sell mechanical watches.
As you can see from the above pros and cons, Breitling has placed itself in the luxury watch market as a maker of watches for professionals, thanks to its exclusive product range. Some also have unique features that are customized to particular circumstances. They have a large selection of high-quality tool watches that can be customized with a variety of bands. They are moderately priced.
Pros & Cons of Buying Rolex Watches
- They are the most well-known luxury watch brand in the world.
- They have a higher resale value than most luxury watch brands.
- They come with a 5-year warranty from the date of purchase.
- Many blingy versions with diamond bezels, pavé dials (faces paved with diamonds), precious metals of all kinds...if you're into that.
- Many inventions are patented by Rolex, including their para chrome blue, Oysterflex bracelets, Oysterlock, Everose gold (rose gold alloy), Cerachrom bezel inserts, Triplock locking crown, and more.
- Rolex produces a range of classic watches, including the Rolex Submariner and Rolex Cosmograph Daytona, as well as the Rolex Explorer, Sea-Dweller, and more.
- Their mechanical watches are all Superlative Chronometers, which are mechanical movements that are extremely accurate and precise, with an accuracy of -2/+2 seconds per day.
- They are normally less expensive than Breitling watches.
- You can't customize the strap-like you can with a Breitling watch.
- They don't have as many limited editions and special edition watches.
- More than Rolex, Breitling offers a variety of rubber strap options.
- Rolex does not actually sell any smartwatches, nor have they hinted that they will in the future.